Reflections and stories on six months of life, culture, food and friendship in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

New Years Anthem

To mark the occasion of the arrival of the Year of the Pig I offer up the official Vietnamese New Year Anthem by everyone's favourite Swedish foursome. I'm sure there is a entire canon of traditional Tet songs, but these were hardly in evidence last year at Tet. Instead the Vietnamese universe seems to be obsessed by one song, and one song only. In fact the song serves the purpose of both New Years, Western and lunar, the result being about almost two solid months of Abba on replay, not just two discrete flare-ups as you might think. I've never been a big Abba fan but I must admit the brilliance of this song. It has an insidious way of lodging itself in your brain, particularly if you are trapped on a bus from Haiphong with the video on a loop for over an hour.

As for the video, check out the state of Ikea circa 1979, not to mention the eye shadow, and the innovative Lazy Susan filming effect. My big question: what's he looking at out the window?

It's an appropriate video to be posting today for other reasons too, since I'm feeling that post-party effect (though I'm not lounging around on my chesterfield in a party dress). Jon, Koen and I pulled off a full-on Hanoi Tet meal complete with ga luoc (poached chicken with lime leaf and ginger dipping sauce), nem (Hanoi style deep fried spring rolls), banh chung with pickled leeks (purchased not made from scratch), dau phu sot ca chua (tofu in tomato sauce), nom kho bo (green papaya salad with spicy dried beef), cha lua (Vietnamese sausage), a pork and radish soup, authentic green tea from Thai Nguyen, followed by fruit and mut Tet (candy). Oh yeah and we polished off my only bottle of Nep Moi (Vietnamese rice vodka made of young rice, smells like hazelnut and packs a whopping 40%). I think I'm ready to take on Iron Chef Vietnam.

As it turns out, our celebration was 24 hours too late! I discovered that Tet is sometimes a day earlier than the Chinese New Year, and this was one of those rare years. It's something to do with Vietnam being in a different time zone from China, although I can't imagine how that one hour makes any difference whatsoever. When I got through to a few friends in Hanoi on their Saturday morning, I was told "Tet roi, Tet roi!". I was assured though that the Tet in the Vietnamese diaspora however has come to conform with the Chinese date. Oi gioi oi, nothing is ever simple!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Will-W. said...

abba cheesefest!! :) ur menu sounds tantalizing.. u outdid yourselves. i think i am speaking for others when i say that we want to see visuals of the feast too!

happy tet and happy year of the pig:)

will

p.s. thanks for the correction re: lion dance vs. dragon dance; i am such an embarassment to chinese culture:p

10:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This song is the New Years anthem of Vietnam indeed. It has been around for like 15-20 years and I'm not sure if there's a day that ppl finally get bored of it.

By the way, I would like you to visit this web site: www.newhanoian.com. When you have time please have a look around and see how you could contribute to the site, as I'm sure your knowledge and experience of Hanoi's restaurant and eating places will be a valuable source to other expats.

8:02 AM

 
Blogger Dalat said...

I'm heading to Vietnam in 2 months, hopefully to stay in Hanoi 6 or plus months. I find your blog informative and very funny.

Speaking as someone from the Vietnamese diaspora in Canada, we don't use the Chinese calendar to mark Tet, although we celebrate Tet on a convenient weekend either before or after the actual day. This year because it fell on the weekend we celebrated right on.

1:56 PM

 
Anonymous TuKhuyen said...

It's a nice entry about Vietnamese Tet holiday

9:27 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM Mr Benjamin Lee .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Mr Benjamin after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then I set out to seek for funds online where I lost $3,670 that I borrowed from friends which I was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about Mr Benjamin Lee helping people with an loan online in which this email was stated (247officedept@gmail.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convinced because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme  at a very low interest rate of 2%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today I and my kids are so happy and fulfilled. You can as well contact them through email: (247officedept@gmail.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victims of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

4:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home